Looking to Challenge your New Franklin County Tax Numbers? Here’s How

Now that the 2017 tax assessments are on the books and the numbers are out for everyone to see – if you aren’t happy with your new tax number and feel you have a legitimate claim to lowering that number, the Franklin County Auditor wants you to know that you have options:

How and where to challenge your 2017 Franklin County tax values.
How and where to challenge your 2017 Franklin County tax values.

The Franklin County Auditor’s Office will host five Board of Revision “mobile offices” to answer questions about the process from Thursday, Jan. 11 through Thursday, March 22 at five different locations in Franklin County.

Franklin County property owners who feel their property value is too high or too low may file a request to change the value with the Board of Revision. The deadline to file a Board of Revision complaint is Monday, April 2, 2018.

Board of Revision mobile offices will be held in Gahanna; Clintonville; New Albany; Grove City; and Upper Arlington.

The complete schedule can be found below:

The Franklin County Board of Revision hears formal complaints on property valuations. Filing a complaint allows property owners to present their case before the Board of Revision, which is comprised of representatives of the county auditor, treasurer and commissioner.

Board of Revision applications will be accepted until April 2 at 5 p.m. Staff also will assist the public in filing complaints on April 2 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. in the Courthouse Auditorium, 373 S. High St. Property owners can submit requests in person, by email at BOR@franklincountyohio.gov, through the mail or via fax at 614-525-6252.

If a property owner is successful in reducing their property value, a refund of any overpayment of taxes collected based on the higher value will be refunded or credited with their next tax bill.

I’ve never heard of anyone challenging what they considered to be ‘too low’ property taxes btw. If you need help with comparable home values to take with you, we would be happy to help.

Questions? Please call 614-525-4663 or email ClarenceMingo@franklincountyohio.gov.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *